For the approximately 90 percent of patients who have had knee arthroplasty, the procedure has given them better mobility, freedom from pain, and a higher quality of life. For the remaining 10 percent, however, the surgery might have only opened another chapter of misery, as knee pain lingers on after the procedure.
If this sounds like you, read on to learn about the possible reasons for your persistent pain after your knee replacement surgery and what our orthopedic surgeons here at the Personalized Orthopedics of the Palm Beaches can do to reverse your problem.
Possible Culprits in Knee Pain after Arthroplasty
There are various potential reasons for pain following knee arthroplasty. These include the following:
- Arthrofibrosis – This is a condition in which excessive formation of scar tissue causes pain and interferes with normal knee function.
- Aseptic implant loosening (due to excess body weight, high-impact activities, or wear of the plastic spacer between the metal components of the knee implant)
- Implant rejection (extremely rare complication)
- Periprosthetic fracture – This is a break around the components of a knee implant, which usually occurs due to a fall or trauma
- Prosthetic joint infection
- Soft-tissue impingement (the soft tissue that lies beneath your kneecap becomes pinched)
Significant improvements in pain and knee function are anticipated weeks 4 through 6 following a knee replacement surgery, with a majority of patients already off their medications by week 6.
If your knee pain has not improved after week six, our orthopedic surgeon will perform a thorough evaluation to pinpoint the cause and devise the appropriate intervention. Depending on their findings, our orthopedic surgeon may turn to any of the following strategies:
- Debridement, antibiotics, and implant retention (DAIR)- If you developed an infection right after your surgery, our orthopedic surgeon may perform this procedure to remove the infected tissue and clean out your knee implant and replace its plastic liner or spacer. You will be given IV antibiotic treatment, for up to six weeks.
- Knee revision surgery– This involves removal of the prosthesis and installation of a new one. Our orthopedic surgeon may recommend this if the cause of your postoperative knee pain is implant loosening or periprosthetic fracture.
- Manipulation under anesthesia (MUA)- This comprises a series of mobilization, traction procedures, and stretching exercises performed while you are sedated to break up the scar tissue and relieve your symptoms
- Intensive physical therapy- If you have a mild case of arthrofibrosis, this may be all that you need to address your pain and mobility issues.
- Knee arthroscopy (for soft-tissue impingement)
Treatment for Postoperative Knee Pain in Boynton Beach, FL
For effective postoperative knee pain treatment in Boynton Beach in Florida, visit us at the Personalized Orthopedics of the Palm Beaches. Our name says it all—our board-certified orthopedic surgeons provide personalized and comprehensive care for the full spectrum of orthopedic problems. We will work closely with you to put you on the road to successful recovery and help you feel better and move freely again!
To schedule a consultation with one of our orthopedic surgeons, call us at (561) 733-5888. You may also fill out this form to request an appointment.